- Who can submit a proposal for the Innovation Fund?
All AASLD members who are members of a SIG or an official Committee are eligible to apply. If you are not a member of a SIG, you can join online.
- I am the Committee/SIG Chair, do I need to be the one to submit our online proposal for the Innovation Fund or can we task another AASLD member to submit on behalf of the Committee?
The project lead should submit the proposal on behalf of your Committee/SIG.
- What is the Innovation Fund?
The Innovation Fund is a new initiative to fund creative ideas or projects put forth by an AASLD Committee or Special Interest Group (SIG) that are not already offered by AASLD, and will advance the mission of the association.
- Where can I find more information on AASLD’s mission?
The AASLD’s mission and strategic plan can be found at http://www.aasld.org/about-aasld/strategic-plan.
- What kinds of projects qualify for the Innovation Fund?
Qualifying projects include those that can be viewed as a pilot of a new or innovative idea for the AASLD including (but not limited to) surveys, software/apps to promote education, MOC novel ideas, etc. that can be completed within 1-2 years. If the project will extend beyond the funding period, a plan for sustainability will be required. Funding cannot be requested for research projects, research registries, or meetings/conferences, as AASLD has other funding mechanisms for these.
- How many projects will be funded by this program?
The number will vary based on the programs selected. Individual awards of $10,000 - $60,000 will be made up to $250,000 per year. There are two funding cycles per year (September deadline/January start, April deadline/July start), and each Committee/SIG is limited to one application per funding cycle.
- Are there any restrictions on what the funding can be used for?
No salary support for the applicant or for any other AASLD members will be allowed, however other project personnel may receive salary support as required. AASLD grants policy does not allow for any indirect costs (F & A). The budget should include only costs that are allowable, reasonable, and necessary for carrying out the objectives of the project. Funding cannot be requested for research projects or meetings/conferences.
- What does “Apply through an AASLD Committee or SIG” mean exactly?
Formal endorsement of the Committee/SIG will be required and a letter of support from the Chair of the Committee/SIG must be included in the application package. Because each Committee or SIG can only submit one proposal for consideration for each funding cycle, individual members will not be eligible to apply unless they have been selected by the relevant Committee/SIG as the single application for that funding cycle.
- I am not currently a member of an AASLD Committee or SIG. How can I submit my project idea to the Innovation Fund?
AASLD Committee appointments are made on an annual basis, but you can join the appropriate SIG at any time.
- How will projects be selected for funding?
Applications will be reviewed and evaluated on the following criteria:
- Appropriateness of budget
- Sustainability of the innovation after completion of this proposal.
- Likelihood of success of the proposal
- Experience and qualifications of the Applicant
- Impact of innovation as it relates to AASLD mission
Brief comments/critiques may be provided to all proposals that are not selected for funding. All funding decisions are final.
- If my project is not funded, are resubmissions accepted?
Yes. Resubmissions will be accepted in the next funding cycle of revised proposals with substantial changes that address the review critiques, and must include a cover letter describing these changes.
- Where can I learn more about the AASLD Innovation Fund?
Submission instructions and the complete RFA are available at aasld.org/InnovationFund, or contact Julia Merrill at firstname.lastname@example.org.