Award Amount: $10,000 minimum, $60,000 maximum
Award Term: One to Two Years
Award Type: New Programs / Initiatives
Letter of Inquiry Deadline: February 15, 2017, 5:00 pm ET
Application Deadline: April 1, 2017, 5:00 pm ET (Funding Starts July 1, 2017)
2nd Award Cycle Deadline: September 1, 2017, with Funding Beginning January 1, 2018
The AASLD Innovation Fund was created to fund new creative ideas / projects put forth by an AASLD Committee or Special Interest Group (SIG). Proposals must address an issue / process / disease / question / hypothesis etc. that advances the mission of the AASLD. To learn more about the mission and goals of AASLD, refer to the AASLD Strategic Plan.
For the purposes of this initiative, innovation is defined as a new idea, device, digital technology, process or method, and when applied will be a better solution for new requirements, unarticulated needs, or existing AASLD needs.
All applications must be submitted through an AASLD Committee or SIG, with approval of the Committee / SIG and its Chair.
- All AASLD members who are members of a SIG or an official Committee are eligible to apply. If you are not a member of a SIG, you can join online.
- All applications must be submitted through an AASLD Committee or SIG with approval of the Committee/SIG and its Chair.
- Each Committee/SIG will be allowed to submit one application per award cycle.
- Interested applicants for this cycle should submit a Letter of Inquiry no later than February 15, 2017 to determine Committee/SIG interest in sponsoring their application. Letters should be addressed to the appropriate Committee/SIG Chair and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 15, 2017. View a sample Letter of Inquiry [PDF].
- Proposed project must not be a research project, research registry, meeting, or conference.
- Projects funded in this application cycle must be initiated in the first funding year, and completed no later than June 30, 2019.
Award Period: July 1, 2017 - June 30, 2018
- AASLD has set aside up to $250,000 per year to fund these awards.
- Awards will range from $10,000 to $60,000 total dollars (no indirect costs are allowed) and can be spent over 1-2 years.
- Funds can be used for time-limited projects over 1-2 years. Projects that take longer will not qualify for this funding mechanism. There must be a plan for sustainability of the project if it will extend beyond the funding period.
- Projects may be viewed as pilots of a new or innovative idea.
- All requested funds must be fully justified, and funding will be administered either through AASLD or as an award to the applicant’s institution, as appropriate.
- No salary support for the applicant or other AASLD members can be requested, however other personnel may receive salary support as required.
- No indirect costs (F and A) are allowed in the budget, as per the current AASLD grants policy.
Applications will be evaluated based on the following factors:
- Impact of innovation as it relates to AASLD mission
- Experience and qualifications of the Applicant
- Likelihood of success of the proposal
- Sustainability of the innovation after completion of this proposal
- Appropriateness of budget
All funding decisions are final, however re-submission of a revised proposal with substantial changes that address the review critiques, and a cover letter describing these changes, is permitted for the next funding cycle deadline.
Funding notifications for this awards cycle will be shared with applicants by May 15, 2017.
The application deadline for this award is 5:00 pm ET, April 1, 2017.
Submit your application online here. You will be sent an email confirmation that the PDF was received. If an email confirmation is not received in 2 business days, contact email@example.com to confirm receipt.
To prepare your application:
- Download the application [PDF].
- Applications must use Arial 11-point font, be single-spaced, and use 1/2 inch margins.
- Assemble the application package in the order listed in the ‘Required Documents’ section into a single PDF.
- A blank Face Page and Checklist are included as the final pages of the RFA. No Appendices are allowed.
- Submit your completed application package online (you must log in).
Questions? Contact Julia Merrill at firstname.lastname@example.org.